San Francisco - Oakland Bay Area Domestic Violence Defense Lawyer
Once the police become involved in a domestic case, it is important to have an attorney advocating for you and protecting your rights. The Law Offices of Seth P. Chazin offers aggressive criminal defense representation to clients charged with domestic violence in the San Francisco Bay area, including Oakland, San Francisco, the surrounding communities, and throughout California.
Contact Seth P. Chazin, domestic violence defense attorney for a free consultation.
In many instances, neither party involved in a domestic dispute actually intended for the police to arrive at their home or for anyone to be arrested. The police may have been called in the midst of an escalated fight, out of spite, or by concerned neighbors. However, once the police are called, a report must be filed and the case is almost always handed over to the district attorney's office for the possible filing of charges.
Domestic violence includes assault (Ca Penal Code 241) - , threats, battery (Ca Penal Code 243), or causing or threatening physical harm to an individual in a close relationship. Domestic violence may involve harm to the following:
- Former spouse
- Domestic partners
Minimizing the Impact of Spousal Abuse/Domestic Violence Charges
Seth P. Chazin is a Board Certified Criminal Law Specialist* with over 30 years of legal experience. He understands the difficult situations his clients have been suddenly placed in. They are often forced out of the home, incapable of spending time with their children, and face negative stigmas at work, with family or friends, or with the neighbors. Mr. Chazin uses his experience and persuasive negotiating skills to try and mitigate domestic violence charges.
Under newly established law, a court may issue a restraining order, even against the victim's will, restraining a defendant convicted of a domestic violence charge from having any contact with the victim for as long as 10 years.
San Francisco Spousal Assault Attorney
In California, domestic violence charges can be pursued even if the alleged victim does not want the charges to be filed. Because the prosecutor is the only person with the power to not file or dismiss a domestic violence case, it is crucial to work with the prosecutor to resolve a case. Mr. Chazin is highly respected by prosecutors, judges, and other court professionals. In addition, he works to obtain the support of the individual alleging the crime. Combined with his ability to negotiate with prosecutors, this support has proved to be an effective method to avoid the filing of charges, to get charges dismissed, reduced, or otherwise resolved.
- Client threatens girlfriend with knife at her throat - probation, released from jail
- Client Accused of battering girlfriend and witness - case dismissed (after hung jury)
- Client accused of assaulting spouse - no charges filed
- Client charged with striking young daughter and wife. Aggressive investigation and pre-trial preparation along with creative negotiations results in entire case set to be dismissed after proof of counseling.
- Client accused of raping and then assaulting ex-girlfriend on several occasions. Aggressive investigation, pre-trial preparation and negotiations resulted in ALL CHARGES DISMISSED.
- Client accused in two different cases in two different counties of sexually assaulting and/or battering victim. Aggressive investigation, pre-file preparation and negotiations resulted in NO CHARGES FILED in either case.
- Client was charged with assaulting his wife and his child endangerment. Aggressive investigation and litigation resulted in ALL CHARGES DISMISSED.
If you have been arrested for child abuse, spousal battery, or other domestic abuse, you should consult an attorney right away to discuss your rights and defense strategy.
Contact domestic violence attorney Seth Chazin today for a free initial consultation.
*Certified by the California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization